We use ‘concept maps’ as an assessment tool within the Volunteering module (SWK1003). Students visualise the sub-concepts that make up a main concept. They can draw this out using whatever form or tool they want. It requires minimal grammatical competence but needs to show good conceptual understanding. The results were outstanding.
For more information about this assessment, please contact Mark Allenby, Senior Lecturer in Social Work (Mark.Allenby@northampton.ac.uk) or Victoria Boulton, Teaching Research Assistant (Victoria.Boulton@northampton.ac.uk).
This case study is taken from the Institute of Learning and Teaching’s 2015 publication ‘Outside the Box Assessment and Feedback Practices’, available from the University’s Assessment and Feedback portal.
- Blackboard Upgrade – September 2023
- Blackboard Upgrade – August 2023
- NILE Ultra Course Award Winners 2023 & Blackboard Upgrades 2022/2023
- Blackboard Upgrade – July 2023
- Ultra Gradebook Survey – Feedback to Blackboard
- Kaltura – Essential Maintenance Notification – 3rd to 5th July 2023
- New NILE courses for the 23/24 academic year now available
- Blackboard Upgrade – June 2023
- Of Sound Mind Exhibition 2023.
- Blackboard Upgrade – May 2023
TagsABL Practitioner Stories Academic Skills Accessibility Active Blended Learning (ABL) ADE Assessment Design Assessment Tools Blackboard Blackboard Learn Blackboard Upgrade Blended Learning Blogs CAIeRO Collaborate Collaborate Ultra Collaboration Distance Learning Feedback FHES Flipped Classroom Flipped Learning iNorthampton iPad Kaltura Learner Experience MALT Mobile Newsletter NILE NILE Ultra Outside the box Panopto Presentations Quality Reflection SHED Submitting and Grading Electronically (SaGE) Turnitin Ultra Ultra Upgrade Update Updates Video Waterside Xerte