You may be having trouble getting Kaltura screen recorder to work. It turns out that with the latest version of Java as a security feature, applets get blocked if their HTML source and jar file are on different servers. To overcome this, you need to add an exception for both https://nile.northampton.ac.uk/ and https://cdnsecakmi.kaltura.com – this does do the trick! The link below explains it in detail: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_blocked.xml (Thank you to Dr.Hendrix, for tracking down this solution).
How does it work on a mac? It appears to VERY picky about browser, OS and java versions. We got it to work in Safari on OSX v10.9.3 with Java 7 – running the NILE site in “Unsafe mode” by going to Safari Preferences > Security > Manage Website Settings > Select Java from the left and selecting ‘Run in unsafe mode’ for nile.northampton.ac.uk. Not ideal, but until Kaltura and the latest version of Java are in synch, it is at least possible to get it to work.
Please contact IT Services (rather than LearnTech) on ext. 3333, if you need to get this working on a uni machine.
If you’ve ever needed to explain how to use something on a PC, a screen capture application is a great thing to use. Many University PCs have Snagit installed, but there are occasions when you don’t have access to it or you’d like a colleague or student to create one for you.
This is where screencast-o-matic comes in. Just visit http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ and start recording. You will need Java installed, but this should be on most modern PCs or free to download and install from http://www.java.com/.
The resulting file can be uploaded to YouTube to share or downloaded as an MP4 file. The free version does include a watermark and only allows one file to be produced at a time, but this shouldn’t be a major drawback for the scenarios described above.
Here’s an example of the sort of thing you can produce …
- Of Sound Mind Exhibition 2023.
- Blackboard Upgrade – May 2023
- Sunshine and Showers – 12th May 2023
- Blackboard Upgrade – April 2023
- The computers are taking over?
- H5P (HTML5 Package) Interactive Learning Resources are enjoyed by the students of Dr Mosavar Farahani, PhD, FHEA, Fellow of IBMS, Senior Lecturer in Haematology, Faculty of Arts, Science and Technology
- Generative AI – Exploring the Potential Impact on Education and Creativity
- AI-generated images in celebration of International Women’s Day
- Blackboard Upgrade – March 2023
- 3D printing and scanning workshop opens new possibilities for Hair and Makeup students.
TagsABL Practitioner Stories Academic Skills Accessibility Active Blended Learning (ABL) ADE Assessment Design Assessment Tools Blackboard Blackboard Learn Blackboard Upgrade Blended Learning Blogs CAIeRO Collaborate Collaborate Ultra Collaboration Distance Learning Feedback FHES Flipped Classroom Flipped Learning iNorthampton iPad Kaltura Learner Experience MALT Mobile Newsletter NILE NILE Ultra Outside the box Panopto Presentations Quality Reflection SHED Submitting and Grading Electronically (SaGE) Turnitin Ultra Ultra Upgrade Update Updates Video Waterside Xerte