On the 15th March 2023, delegates attended a short debate on whether computers (particularly with Artificial Intelligence developments) are taking over (see introductory slides). A mix of onsite and remote participants heard from Lee Machado (Professor of Molecular Medicine) who argued with slides that computers are not taking over. Rob Howe (Head of Learning Technology) then presented the counter argument with slides prepared by Karl Downing (Digital Development Lead – IT Services). This was all beautifully summed up by Sue Attewell (Head of Edtech – Jisc National Centre for A.I.). Jatin Arora (President of the UON student AI society) spoke after the event on his reflections as his comments during the session were not captured.
AI is in a grey area at the moment – nothing is fully good or fully bad. It depends on the human on how it is used.Jatin Arora (President of the UON student AI society)
The event concluded with a vote. The majority decided that computers were not taking over.
- 11 delegates agreed that they are taking over
- 43 delegates felt that they were not taking over
- 10 delegates abstained
If you are interested in discussions of this type then there are at least two further events of interest:
• 21st June 13:00 – 15:00 International debate and discussion around AI. Sign up TBA
• Implications and Ethical Dimensions of using Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment.- https://reflect.ucl.ac.uk/aptconference/ on Friday 30th June.
Please contact Rob.Howe@northampton.ac.uk with any questions about the event or any follow-up.
- First Thoughts on AI Design Assistant
- Blackboard Upgrade – December 2023: AI Design Assistant, AI Image Generator, and Unsplash Image Library
- H5P software trial of the feature ‘Smart Import’ using AI technology
- Testing the AI detectors Part 2
- Blackboard Upgrade – November 2023
- Kardi Somerfield’s Vision Fuses Education and Creativity in Immersive Northampton Artwork
- Student Insights on AI: A Detailed Report
- Blackboard Upgrade – October 2023
- Testing the AI detectors
- Blackboard Upgrade – September 2023
TagsABL Practitioner Stories Academic Skills Accessibility Active Blended Learning (ABL) ADE Assessment Design Assessment Tools Blackboard Blackboard Learn Blackboard Upgrade Blended Learning Blogs CAIeRO Collaborate Collaborate Ultra Collaboration Distance Learning Feedback FHES Flipped Classroom Flipped Learning iNorthampton iPad Kaltura Learner Experience MALT Mobile Newsletter NILE NILE Ultra Outside the box Panopto Presentations Quality Reflection SHED Submitting and Grading Electronically (SaGE) Turnitin Ultra Ultra Upgrade Update Updates Video Waterside Xerte