In the Paramedic Science division we use Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) to assess practical application of skills. For example, advanced life support can be demonstrated on mannequins using all of the actual equipment required. In practice sessions we asked the students to video their attempts on SMART phones, iPads or other devices, which can then be uploaded to NILE (the University’s Virtual Learning Environment). These could then be viewed for self, peer and tutor review as formative assessment and feed-forward to improve performance. Initially, the students found this to be daunting but eventually came to value the opportunity to self-assess and refer back to their performance on past videos.
For more information about this assessment, please contact Sarah Cross, Senior Lecturer, Paramedic Science Division (Sarah.Cross3@northampton.ac.uk)
This case study is taken from the Institute of Learning and Teaching’s 2015 publication ‘Outside the Box Assessment and Feedback Practices’, available from the University’s Assessment and Feedback portal.
- Make NILE more accessible this May 20th.
- NILE Design Standards 2021/22
- Blackboard Collaborate introduces the new Gallery view
- Student Guidance on finding the emergency virtual rooms that staff are using during March 2021
- Staff guidance on setting up a temporary open Collaborate link
- Reflecting on the development of an introduction to NILE for new students
- How long does it take to build an Ultra course?
- Update to Kaltura Video Storage and Archiving
- Ultra courses for Foundation and Level 4 modules now available
- What do UON staff think about Blackboard Ultra?
TagsABL Practitioner Stories Academic Skills Accessibility Active Blended Learning (ABL) Active Learning Apps Assessment Design Assessment Tools Blackboard Blended Learning Blogs CAIeRO Collaborate Collaboration Demystifying the CAIeRO Distance Learning Feedback Flipcam Flipped Classroom Flipped Learning GradeMark Hyflex iNorthampton iPad Kaltura Learner Experience MALT MediaSpace Mobile Newsletter NILE Open Educational Resources (OERs) Outside the box Panopto Powerpoint Presentations Quality Reflection Rubrics SHED Submitting and Grading Electronically (SaGE) Turnitin Video Waterside Xerte