Whether we like it or not, we are increasingly being directed to basic conversations with chatbots. The image above is taken from a discussion with ‘Bo’ who is the lovely chatbot that hosts discussions on the Differ system – students are encouraged to chat with other students on topics introduced by Bo. The aim being that it encourages greater online networking between students who may not normally meetup.
There are many sites providing information on what a chatbot is and how they may be used.
“At the most basic level, a chatbot is a computer program that simulates and processes human conversation (either written or spoken), allowing humans to interact with digital devices as if they were communicating with a real person. Chatbots can be as simple as rudimentary programs that answer a simple query with a single-line response, or as sophisticated as digital assistants that learn and evolve to deliver increasing levels of personalization as they gather and process information.”Oracle – What is a Chatbot
The excellent Edubots Webinar Series is providing greater insight and a discussion forum for those investigating how chatbots may be used within Education environments. It also raises the interesting moral issues such as when it is appropriate for chatbots to provide emotional support.
If you are based at the University of Northampton and you’d like a little pilot with Bo ‘the chatbot’ then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Those who are interested for more information can join the Introduction to Chatbots for Educators – online course and community
- Using students to help refine a marketing plan to communicate technology to all stakeholders
- Important Update for MyPAD Users: Automatic archiving of inactive MyPAD blogs and websites
- Blackboard Upgrade – November 2022
- What new features do you want to see in your Ultra courses? Survey responses and feedback
- Blackboard Upgrade – October 2022
- Keeping University of Northampton apprentices safe
- Learntech @ UON 15th birthday (1/9/22)
- Blackboard Upgrade – September 2022
- Learntech Summer News and Updates 2022
- H5P: tutor-friendly tools within NILE for creating engaging and impactful content.
TagsABL Practitioner Stories Academic Skills Accessibility Active Blended Learning (ABL) Active Learning ADE Assessment Design Assessment Tools Blackboard Blackboard Learn Blackboard Upgrade Blended Learning Blogs CAIeRO Collaborate Collaborate Ultra Collaboration Distance Learning Feedback FHES Flipped Classroom Flipped Learning iNorthampton iPad Kaltura Learner Experience MALT Mobile Newsletter NILE Outside the box Panopto Presentations Quality Reflection SHED Submitting and Grading Electronically (SaGE) Turnitin Ultra Ultra Upgrade Update Updates Video Waterside Xerte