Well-being of an International Student | Teri

Being an international student, there are so many things that are new to you than just a new place to gain knowledge from. New city, new country, new home, new friends, different language. Being the traveller I am, I was never worried about being somewhere else than the address I grew up at. However, we all miss home sometimes, especially if you are going through a difficult time whilst you are away. I would like to share a few tips, or maybe just tell you about my experience of what I did when I was homesick or felt overwhelmed with everything happening around me.

JOIN A SOCIETY

I remember the first time I went to the meditation society. I felt like I have known these folks forever. Everyone welcomed me with a warm smile, and I was excited to be a part of such a group. I did not know much about meditation and being the over-thinker I am, the thought of sitting, or laying down thinking of nothing frightened me. How am I going to do this? After attending meditation for a few weeks, listening to a voice that guided my mind and thought, I felt great. It was hard but I started to notice the benefits of trying to calm my mind and letting go of everything that weighted me down the whole week.

Besides, you never know who you can meet! Joining a society can be a great place to meet new people and make friends. There are so many societies you can join based on what you are interested in. From sports to arts or law, there is something for everyone.

BOOKS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS

Books, (and now I am not talking about the ones you do need for your assignments) are a great way to get your mind to take a break and soak in a different story than yours. It is also a great way to pass time on those days when you might be travelling to or from home and your flight or bus is late…(again).

If English is your second language, books are also a great way to expand your vocabulary and practice English. Lately, I am a big fan of self-development books that helped me to understand why we are feeling certain way sometimes and good techniques of how to live more happily and in harmony with our mind and bodies.

GET OUTSIDE

Whether you are staying in halls or rented accommodation, it is really important you don’t stay in all the time. You don’t need to be a party diva if that is not your cup of tea. Simply go outside, get some fresh air, or explore. This helped me when I was struggling with assignments, especially on those days when you feel like your brain just does not work. There are some great parks in Northampton that are worth a visit with your friends, or on your own.

TRAVEL

Everyone loves travelling. If you are an international student like me, this is a great opportunity to see some amazing places in the UK. Hop on the train or the coach that departs from the town centre and make some memories. One of my favourite trips was the one to Durledoor, which is a few hours away from Northampton, but definitely worth the visit.

Besides, within just one hour away, you can get to London, which has countless opportunities for exploring new places. I love this quote by an unknown author: “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer” which is true. Also, it makes you feel grateful to be able to experience life in a different country and trust me, it will make one of the best memories you will reflect on later in your life.

VOLUNTEER

Keep yourself busy! If you spare some time in between lectures and writing assignments or even part-time jobs most of us have, volunteering is another activity I really enjoyed throughout my university years. Every year, you can meet organizations at the volunteer’s fair which is organised by the university.

When I was a first-year student, that is where I met Vimal, a manager of an Oxfam charity shop in Northampton. I was really interested in finding more about what does it take to fundraise and try to tackle some of the global issues out there. Volunteering was a great opportunity for networking, meeting new people from a different background and find more about the work of non-profit organizations. I got to do an interview for BBC Radio Northampton or fundraise money at music events around Northampton.

IT IS NOT COWARD TO ASK FOR HELP

You might get to the end of this blog post and feel like nothing from above has helped you. If you feel helpless in turning your sadness away, it’s okay to ask for help. Be it your friends, or your family, who is always one call away, there are also some great folks at the university who have experience in helping people to raise up again. You can reach them at studentsupportofficers@northampton.ac.uk. Remember, mental health is just as important as physical health, don’t underestimate it and seek advice if you need.

Remember, it is completely okay not feeling okay sometimes! And you are not alone in this, trust me. If you choose to watch your favourite film beneath your blankets or go out exploring the new city with friends, your sadness will pass, and you will be able to enjoy the university experience. Remember, these years at the university are going to fly by so fast! Enjoy them and make the best out of them, while you can.